HISTORY OF NEW ZEALAND FELLOWSHIP OF ARTISTS.
Established in 1946 by 6 artists who paid an annual Subscription of 1 guinea. By 1952 membership had increased to 105.Exhibitions held in John Courts and Milne and Choice.
Several Talented members gained awards in the Kelliher art awards. Arthur Hipwell, Leonard Mitchell, Peter McIntyre, Owen Leed, David Barker, Cedic Savage, Austin Deans, Emerson Porter and Douglas Badcock.
First premises established in 1967 2nd floor in Her Majesty’s Arcade in Queen Street. Eventually moving to 3rd Floor to accommodate tutoring. In 1971 HRH Princess Alexander and Hon. Angus Ogilvy attended an Exhibition where they were presented with a painting of Government House by Heinze Boehnke. Further Exhibitions held at Farmers Trading Co attended by Mayors Sir Dove Myer Robinson and Dame Katherine Tizard.
At that time some 350 paintings were often sold during a weekend. After His Majesty’s Theatre was demolished In 1987 Fellowship moved to Dominion Road in Balmoral. The Fellowship has leased its now home at 27a Poronui Street in Mt Eden where they have been since 1999. The building has been upgraded and an office and kitchen installed to compliment the Gallery and Studio space. Regular workshops and Exhibition are regularly held here.